Monday, April 9, 2007

our future now

The box glows it’s warm love buzz throughout the house. My brother’s eyes gleam with a sick intensity. His grin twitches with each flick of the plastic controller. He spends every hour of his youth sitting, staring into a box. Shooting people in the head. Hearing the gurgles of death. Staring into a box. Shooting people in the head. Hearing the gurgles of death. Shooting people in the head. Hearing the gurgles of death. Staring into a box. Shooting people in the head. Hearing the gurgles of death. Shooting people in the head. Hearing the gurgles of death. Shooting people in the head. Hearing the gurgles death. Shooting people in the head. Hearing the gurgles of death. Staring into a box. He only moves to jump from his chair in victory. He has slaughtered the entire town of people…or zombies. Whatever.

His friends pile their bikes in the backyard. My parents are at the store. The grinning boys want to show him something awesome. They swallow hard with nervous pounding hearts. They type. They click. A million pictures undress so many years of hidden wonder. Cum In My Fuckhole. Hot Pussyz R Us. Big Titty Bitches. Little Cock Suckers. Sweaty blonde hair, full red lips, rock hard sausage breasts. Their eyes dance over the pages and their breathing slows to a stop. This is sex. That secret peeking from every beer commercial, every cheerleader’s bounce, every song on the radio. Picture after picture. A woman on her knees. On her back. Bending over. Taking it and taking it and taking it, just for them. And she likes it. And she wants it. These boys have so much to look forward to. Girls are smiling wet holes.

6 comments:

Your Ill-fitting Overcoat said...

I think you and I have brothers that are a similar distance in age from us. I get really sad and disturbed about this, too. My childhood was nothing like his. I played with real people and with imaginary friends and with cardboard refrigerator boxes and scraps of cloth. We had computer games on our Commodore 64 and I did play them sometimes but that's a relatively insignificant memory from my youth. I remember watching television but we didn't have cable so I didn't watch very much of it. It seems like nearly every waking moment of my brother's existence is taken up by one of three things: school, track, or video games. Thank god for the track part at least.

emc said...

Exactly.

My brother was taking guitar and piano lessons for a while, but decided to quit because he'd rather play video games or watch TV all day. This freaks me out because he is an intelligent and sensitive person, but being so intensely engaged in realistic acts of violence every. single. day. of his young life must have an impact on the development of his psyche (and his peers and our culture in general). Violence, competition, and the objectification of women = American masculinity. We are just constantly bombarded and I am afraid that in defense of one’s sense of masculinity, these ideas will be easily absorbed. I don’t know. Maybe I don’t give people enough credit. I just hope that my brother will think about the world around him…not just allow the commercial/popular media to become his moral/ethical compass.

Your Ill-fitting Overcoat said...

Yeah, it's the same thing with my brother. He was taking piano and guitar lessons for awhile too but seems to have lost interest. He's so smart and is also a really sensitive, thoughtful person but I think it's being totally wasted on this crap. It's just hard to know what the effects of this can really be since I think this is the first generation to grow up spending this much time playing such realistically violent video games.

emc said...

Word.

Russell said...

Here's how to get your brothers back on the guitar/piano track: tell them how many ladies they will get with these skills. Wait, that's objectification. Damnit! At least they will be prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

Seriously though, I think a good way to get them interested in music is to encourage them to practice with their friends. That's way more fun than playing in school bands, and you can actually play songs that you want!

emc said...

Thanks for the advice, Russell. I will definitely encourage that idea!

About Me